Sunday 19 October 2014

The Harder Phases

Do you ever have days where you can't swallow much at all? I do.
It seems hot custard and thin pumpkin soup are the only things that go down okay.
Looking back through my food journal, this pattern has been going on more frequently lately than i first thought.

Do you notice a trend to your day? For example, 
I can only swallow liquids throughout the morning and if i'm going to try and challenge myself with something, it sometimes goes a little better if i do it in the afternoon or evening.
Take yesterday for example, i ate a tub of chocolate ice-cream, in the afternoon. It took me a long time but it did seem to go down okay. This morning. i tried eating the same ice-cream and it didn't want to go down. 

I also have other symptoms that don't want to budge, which are - throat tightening and throat pain. I have been doing muscle therapy in the past few weeks and i think this possibly has something to do with it. Has anyone else experienced ''side effects'' to muscle exercises?
Luckily i have an appointment coming up this week. I have a lot to talk about and ask about. 

I know how important it is to eat and i do get hungry but what can i do if my body rejects it? I feel scared and fear my body will start failing me further in some way. 
I get almost constant headaches and dizziness and i become aware of my heartbeat, usually when i am laying in bed. 

I have been having fluids. Things like - Sustagen, Hot chocolate, Fortisip drinks, Milkshakes (I go out to buy these whenever i can)..
I can usually accept fluids well enough. Although, they do stick in my mouth sometimes and that therefore makes them stick in my throat too. I also have problems with control and sensation of the liquid in my mouth at times too, 

I have had a talk to my parents, around just a month back, when i was going through a similar phase of this. Even still i don't think they get how i feel till this day.
I just spend most of my days at home because i don't have the energy to do much at all and am scared and down about things. 
I don't know how that equals to being lazy and unhelpful, etc. 

Anyway, I just wanted to put this out there as this probably covers most of what's been going on with me, both physically and mentally lately. 

I don't know how to get out of this phase i am in
I'm sure there will be dysphagia patients who can relate to this. 
If you come across this, feel free to get in contact with me. It's always nice to know we aren't alone and we may have advice for each other. 

Reaching me through my Facebook account is probably the best way - https://www.facebook.com/karly.vk
Or you can comment here and then we can sort out the rest. :-)

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

I send my love and strength to you all. 
-Karly. x


No comments:

Post a Comment